Sunday, October 16, 2011


Swellington


On our journey through the north island, we descended upon my friend Naima in Wellington.  The attmosphere was electric with the quarter finals going on.  Wellington was the first true "city" that we've hit since we've been in NZ.  A city touting the free Te Papa museum and synthetic marajuana.  Whaaat?  Aparently Wellingtonians have no patience for those pesky drug laws and as one synthetic drug is banned, they just turn around and make another.  Touche Wellington.

Speaking of things that should be illegal, letting an American drive in Wellington may be at the top of the list.  I did, however, take a hand at the challenge of driving on the opposite side of the road.  To our shock, no one died durring my chauffering escapade.  I can't tell you how many times I turned on the windsheild wipers instead of the oh so important turn signal.  I would say it was slightly more awkward than having toilet paper on your shoe, but not quite as awkward as farting during sex.  Success!

After Wellington we took the 7.5 hour bus ride to aromatic Rotorua where we stayed with Mike and Anna's mum (see, I'm learning), Ruth.  Rotorua is famous for their sulfuric hot springs.  People complain about the eggy smell, but really it's no less tolerable than your own brand of gas.  Plus the water leaves your hair oh so soft. 

We found ourselves at Craft Central while at Ruth's house.  She could knit you a 40,000 spectator rugby stadium if you just gave her a couple of days.  Obviously Kelly and I forced her to teach us how to knit, a hillarious undertaking on our part.  My first project looks like a sea sick beaver attempted to make a dam out of pastel green yarn.  Who wants a scarf for Christmas?

NZ has taught me many things, most importantly how to diet more efficiently.  I'm calling it the "Move to New Zealand, The Land of Large Islanders, Where Everyone Calls You 'Tiny' and Guys Hit on Anything That Moves Diet".  Tiny, seriously, like several times.  Don't get me wrong NZ, please keep bringing it on, but my self esteem is becoming seriously delusional.

We're off to the Semi-Finals in Auckland this weekend.  Whoopty whoop!

1 comment: