Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dear Savings Account; If You Can't Support Me Then Maybe We Shouldn't be Friends



Let me start by saying the most cliche, but accurate, thing I can think of in this situation; how time flys.  We have officially hit the half way point of our travels.  Six solid months on the road.  SE Asia has become a comfort zone; easy enough to get around, the food is familiar/delightful and the sweet coffee cart lady knows my order.  It's hard to remember it wasn't always this breezy and after a half a year of traveling we are finally headed to a place that seems a million times more foreign; Madagascar.  But I'm not scared (just REALLY scared).  In attempts to ease the new anxiety, let's review the things I was most nervous about before heading on this trip six months ago

Budgeting:  Sticking to a budget is about as mythical as a tap-dancing unicorn.  I don't even know the definition of budget anymore unless budget means to spend your money with abandon, ceasing to worry about getting home and getting on a first name basis with MasterCard.  We actually spent a lot of time researching and calculating estimated per diem expenses for every single country we would be visiting.  I even made a spreadsheet.  Typical, overly organized, annal (get your mind out of the gutter),  frugal, pre-departure Krista would have acquired a severe eye twitch if you told me I would have blown through this much money at the half way point.  The new me, however, says "To the hell with it! Who wants some Cristal?".  I don't know the next time I'll have a chance to sky dive over New Zealand, snorkel in Indonesia or commission custom made rompers in Vietnam.  "Necessity" is not the aim here and while some of my monetary decisions may not even be somewhat justifiable, it has definitely been absolutely worth it.  Just as long as someone let's me sleep on their couch when I get back.  

Homesickness:  Almost as mythical as budgeting.  Before any of you go and get your feelings hurt, let me assure you that this is absolutely true.  Sure I get nostalgic and of course I miss the accessibility of my family and friends.  Hopefully this put's this in perspective though; I'm going to Madagascar tomorrow!  I'll have visited as many countries as I am years old by the time I'm back.  I've been assaulted by monkeys, watched the Rugby World Cup live and kissed dismembered goat balls on top of lush New Zealand mountainside. Love you all, but I hardly want to come back anytime soon.  

24 Hour Buddy System:  Mine and Kelly's friendship is still intact even after spending every waking minute together for the last half year.  I sometimes imagine this might be something close to marriage only we don't get a break from each other during work or the sexual benefits.  Frankly I thought this would be a bigger challenge at this point.  Not that I ever imagined Kelly being and abrasive travel buddy, but alone time is at a serious premium.  Don't get me wrong, it's not all hair braiding and umbrella festooned mojitos either.  Just mostly.  Our occasional tiffs usually stem from some extended travel day where we've taken a taxi, to a shuttle, to a boat, to a tuk tuk, to a sleeper bus and 24 hours later we are still not at our destination.  Nobody gets the Miss Manners Award when you've been marinating in your own filth for that long.  And there is always the little problem I like to refer to as the Krista-is-always-right-factor.  This can be an issue when we are heaving overstuffed backpacks around in 100 degree heat trying to find our god damn hostel when Kelly thinks we go left and I vehemently insist (with the deepest respect) that we should go right.  Usually it's nothing a snack can't fix.  Plus, who are we to really complain when our biggest challenges include trying to find our next hammock laden bungalow in paradise.  Remember when we used to have those things called jobs?

My biggest fears being debunked, I should have no hesitations about going to Madagascar.  I'm sure we'll assimilate just as we have in every other initially uncomfortable foreign embarkment.  Yes, we will stick out like a couple porcupines at nudist colony, but we haven't exactly been incognito in our recent Asian adventures either.  I guess the only thing to worry about now is how to avoid contracting Malaria.  I hope the mosquitos have a sense of humor.


2 comments:

  1. Keep on living the dream, you can sleep on my couch anytime (or even the guest room)! Also, I think you meant "Cristal", "Crystal" sounds kinda like something else that I know you didn't mean. :) Love you guys so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna! Autocorrect will be the death of me...

    ReplyDelete